Having Balinese Purification Ritual as My Birthday Celebration

In the past 5 years, I celebrate my birthday by having "me" time such as traveling by myself or doing something new. This year, I celebrated my birthday and welcoming the quarter-life-crisis by having 'melukat', purification and healing ritual in one of the most sacred places in the island of Gods, in order to cleanse my mind, soul, body, and get rid negative energy that linger around me. I chose Sebatu holy spring and temple among lush forest because it's not touristy so i could have a lot of time for serenity in nature. 

 

It's worth to wake up at 5 AM and started the journey from Kuta at 6 AM. I always enjoy the feeling of the fresh Bali cold air in the morning eventhough in Kuta, the most touristy area in Bali. We went straight and seamless to Sebatu Holy Spring and Temple in Gianyar, pretty close to Ubud. Just a bit traffic when we pass the traditional markets, but I didn't mind at all. Since i was little, traditional market is such a fun and delightful place to visit, to observe, and aesthetic view to stare at. I see the captivating activities in traditional market such as the bargain and the chit chat between the buyers and sellers in some languages, how people carry the groceries, the various colorful groceries in the traditional woven baskets. Everyone seems friendly, nice, and get along. This place always recalls my childhood memory when I used to accompanied my mother shopping. 


 
Still in the same cold morning at 8 AM, we arrived at parking lot of Sebatu Holy Spring. There wasn't any other visitor, only the four of us (Mbok Dayu, Mbok Sri, Bli Made, and I). A few Balinese sellers offered us small triangle Balinese offerings for 'melukat' (purification ritual), white small size of jerrycan for carry holy water, mineral water, and snacks. 



First Stop
Right before the first stair to go down the hill to the holy water spring, my Balinese friends prayed to ask the good spirits and also bad spirits a permission to visit this holy place. Balinese believes equilibrium in life: the good spirit and the bad spirit should be respected.






Second Stop
As we walked down the jungle to the first little temple beside the water spring in 10 minutes, the fresh air and lush huge plants covered us from the heat of the sunshine. After we put an offering on the stare of the little temple that covered in moss, we prayed and also asked the good and the bad spirits a permission again. We continue the ritual by washing our head and face with the cold holy water springs. 


ThirdStop
We kept walking down the hill on the concrete stairs. We put canang offerings on a bamboo table covered in silk, between yellow and white umbrella.



Fourth Stop
The sound of the river stream was getting louder while we walked down to the next temple. On the stair of the temple, we put a special offering called banten pejati (a group of balinese offerings in one basket for our protection during visiting sacred place, before ritual, or before ceremony) because it's my first time entering this sacred place. We prayed to Gods and asking a permission again to the good spirits and also the bad spirits.  


Slowly but carefully, each of us brought a canang as our protection while we went down the river to wash our body with the holy water spring that comes from the little waterfall. It was a mixed feeling, but 70% of me was afraid. Afraid of meeting a snake. But some of my Balinese friends were afraid to having melukat (purification ritual) in Sebatu after hearing the news that some people were possessed during melukat, which indicated that they learn black magic or attacked by black magic.
My second round to melukat in Sebatu holy spring and temple.
The cold holy water poured down from the hill to my head and then my entire body rapidly. My fear of snake a bit faded away but it still remain as i close my eyes and faced to the huge stone where the holy water streamed. Our bodies were still shivering after the purification ritual, but we still had to sit down in front of the temple to pray again and mention our wishes with colorful flowers in my hands and my hairs. At the end of the purification ritual, a holy water that had been chanted a mantra by Balinese priest was splashed over my head and splashed to my two hands to drink.
Matur suksma (thank you), Universe.I feel so grateful for my flowery hair, blessing, good vibe, and being surrounded by kind-hearted people. 

Special thanks to:
- Mbok Dayu, Mbok Sri, Bli Made who arranged purification ritual for me, help me to learn Balinese language, Balinese culture, and also waiting for me in 2 hours while i was snorkeling after purification ritual
- my Bali babes (Ceceuk Mega and Dedek Chaty) for the surprise on Sanur beach.




10-11th of August 2019
Ubud - Padang Bai - Sanur

No comments: